When creating your own homemade face mask, you don’t have to spend too much time and money at building your own spa. The key to amazing skin can be discovered right in the comfort of your own kitchen. So why not treat yourself to a pamper session with our simple recipes for homemade face masks.
Having a facial treatment in a salon is great, however, there are a lot of DIY versions that are much easier to do from home.
DIY face masks are especially ideal if you live an active life and don’t have time to visit a professional facialist, but also if you’re tight for money. Homemade facial mud masks are a budget-friendly choice for those looking to embark on a little TLC.
In order to restore the smoothness of your skin, we’ve scoured the internet for the best homemade face mask recipes to boost your skin’s natural glow.
Best Homemade Face Mask Recipes
The best thing about these homemade recipes is that they incorporate fresh and natural ingredients. All of this stuff can be found in your local supermarket, or maybe they’re already in your kitchen cabinet.
1. Homemade Face Mask for Acne
If you have an acne problem, we recommend trying the cinnamon and honey homemade face mask. Honey contains antibiotic properties that can eliminate the germs that caused acne to develop.
On the other hand, cinnamon contains antimicrobial elements that fight bacteria and kill microorganisms. When these two potent ingredients are combined, they can effectively fight and treat acne issues.
You can also create a homemade face scrub with this recipe by adding a tablespoon of sugar to the mixture.
Face Mask for Acne Instructions
Follow our recipe instructions below on how to make your own DIY face mask for acne:
- Rinse your face with water then pat it dry
- Combine two tablespoons of honey and one teaspoon of cinnamon until they are totally mixed
- Apply the mixture onto your face
- Leave it for 10 to 15 minutes
- Rinse thoroughly with water and pat it dry
2. Homemade Face Mask for Oily Skin
An oily face can be so distressing and end up causing a lot of break-outs. This is usually caused by hormonal changes, stress, genetics, or medication side effects.
Luckily, there are effective homemade face masks that you can use for your oily face. A simple apple and oatmeal facial mud mask can help you in managing your oily skin.
Face Mask for Oily Skin Instructions
Follow our recipe instructions below on how to make your own DIY face mask for oily skin:
- Crush an apple until you fill half a cup
- Mix the crushed apple with half a cup of cooked oatmeal, one tablespoon of lemon juice, and one egg white
- Blend them well until it turns into a paste
- Apply the paste on your face
- Leave it for 15 minutes
- Rinse your face using cool water
3. Homemade Face Masks for Exfoliation
Baking soda is an excellent natural skin exfoliant agent and best of all it is much cheaper compared to the other brand products out there.
Baking soda contains alkaline which can help to remove skin debris and dead skin cells. It contains high antiseptic properties that fight bacteria, a leading cause of most skin problems.
Face Mask for Exfoliation Instructions
Follow our recipe instructions below to on how to make your own DIY face mask for exfoliation:
- Wash your face using warm water and mild soap
- Mix one tablespoon of baking soda, water, and oil in a small bowl
- Blend them consistently until it turns into a paste
- Make sure that the paste is not too watery nor too thick
- Apply it on your face in circular motions
- When applying, avoid the eye area
- Rub it for about two to three minutes in order to ensure that all skin problems are addressed
- Rinse your face using warm water
- Splash it with cool water to close the pores
- Pat your face dry using a clean towel
4. Overnight Homemade Face Mask
Homemade recipes mean that you can pamper your skin before going to sleep if you’re seeking a natural glow the next morning. Just use simple ingredients such as oats and honey for the perfect overnight homemade face mask.
Overnight Face Mask Instructions
Follow our recipe instructions below to on how to make your own DIY face mask for overnight treatment:
- Combine two teaspoons of oats and two teaspoons of honey
- Leave it for about five minutes until the oats have softened
- Crush the oats and blend them well
- Apply the mixture evenly on your face
- Leave it overnight
- This can effectively restore the moisture on your face and repair any skin damage while you sleep
5. Homemade Face Mask for Dead Skin Cells
If you want to nurture your skin but don’t have a budget for expensive facials, you can always make your own homemade honey and lemon face mask from the comfort of your own home.
Honey contains natural antioxidant and antibacterial properties while lemons help eliminate dead skin cells that cause acne, blackheads, and other skin blotchiness.
Face Mask for Dead Skin Instructions
Follow our recipe instructions below on how to make your own DIY face mask for dead skin cells:
- In order to prepare your skin, pour some boiling water in a bowl and lean your face over the bowl to allow the steam to open up your pores
- Use a bowl to combine one tablespoon of raw honey and squeeze half a lemon into the mixture
- Apply the mask all over your face but avoid the eye area
- Leave it on for 15 to 30 minutes
- Rinse it with warm water and a splash of cold water in order to close your pores
- Get a clean towel and gently pat your face dry
6. Homemade Face Mask for Softer Skin
If you have allergies to honey, don’t worry all you need to make a homemade facial mud mask are some simple bananas. That’s right! Bananas are considered the secret to well-moisturized skin. The vitamin A in bananas helps to restore moisture and hydration while repairing dry skin.
Face Mask for Softer Skin Instructions
Follow our recipe instructions below on how to make your own DIY face mask for softer skin:
- Mash a medium-sized banana until it turns into a paste
- Apply it gently on your face and neck
- Let it sit for 20 to 25 minutes
- Rinse it with cold water
7. Homemade Face Mask for Pores
Pores are the little holes in your skin that generate oil also known as sebum. When sebum is over-produced, the pores can get clogged with oil mixed with debris which can result in blackheads.
When blackheads are removed, the pores remain open. Over time open pores can make your skin look and feel rough and dull. However, lemon can help to reduce the size of pores and thoroughly remove excess dirt or oil.
Over time, when sebum is produced less, the open pores can create lines and wrinkles on your face. This will usually occur as you get older and your skin begins to age. Of course, there are expensive products that offer a momentary solution.
However, if you want to save money and create your own natural and reliable face treatment, we recommend making your own homemade face mask.
Face Mask for Pores Instructions
Follow our recipe instructions below on how to make your own DIY face mask for pores:
- Clean your face thoroughly with warm water and a gentle face wash
- Mix a teaspoon of fresh lemon juice into a beaten egg white
- Continue mixing until the liquid thickens
- Apply it on your face using a brush
- Avoid the eye and lip areas
- Let the mask dry up completely
- You will begin to feel tightness on your face, which will indicate that the mask is dry
- Rinse your face using warm water
- Gently rub an ice cube on your face to seal the open pores
8. Homemade Face Mask for Blackheads
Scrubbing your face is not always the best solution for your blackheads. In fact, this may actually make your face worse since it dries out your skin. The best remedy for cleaning out blackheads is to use a gentle homemade face mask.
There are lots of options out there and one of our favorites is the egg white face mask. Egg whites can briefly tighten your pores, minimizing the possibility of future blackheads while eliminating any current ones.
One of the biggest mistakes people make with face masks is that they overuse them. To avoid getting the opposite effects that you’re looking for, such as a dry face, you’re going to want to start out using a face mask maximum twice times per week.
After about two weeks of applying a homemade face mask, you can reduce it to just once a week to keep your skin clean and refreshed.
Face Mask for Blackheads Instructions
Follow our recipe instructions below on how to make your own DIY face mask for blackheads:
- Wash your face and pat it to dry
- Separate the egg white from the yolk
- Apply a thin layer of egg white to your face
- Place a tissue over the egg white and press it gently
- Let it dry and apply the second layer of egg white on top of the tissue
- When the mask has dried up, you will begin to feel tightness on your skin
- Remove the tissue and rinse your face
- Pat dry with a clean towel and apply some moisturizer
9. Homemade Face Mask for Dry Skin
A homemade face mask is a great way to moisturize dry and rough skin. With the appropriate ingredients, you can make your face look fresh straight from your own kitchen cabinets.
Creating an egg and honey face mask can save you a lot of money and at the same time avoid harmful chemicals that you may not be aware are in many brand products.
Face Mask for Black Skin Instructions
Follow our recipe instructions below on how to make your own DIY face mask for dry skin:
- Wash your face thoroughly and pat it dry with a clean towel
- In a bowl, mix one teaspoon of honey, one teaspoon of sunflower oil and one egg white
- Blend the mixture well until it thickens
- Apply the mixture to your face
- Leave it for about 15 minute
- Rinse it off using warm water
10. Homemade Face Mask for Glowing Skin
As you age, you might notice that your skin gets duller too. This is usually caused by the fluctuation of your hormonal levels. In order to bring your skin to life and bring back the glow on your face, you’ll need a homemade exfoliation such as a simple citrus mask.
Lemon and grapefruit contain citric acid and AHA, which are excellent exfoliators and potent antioxidants. A citrus face mask can also make your skin smoother and brighter and is an ideal treatment for oily skin.
Face Mask for a glowing skin Instructions
Follow our recipe instructions below on how to make your own DIY face mask for glowing skin:
- Wash your face and pat it dry
- Using a glass bow,l beat the egg white until it becomes fluffy
- In a separate bowl, squeeze one teaspoon of grapefruit juice, one teaspoon of lemon juice and two teaspoons of sour cream, then mix them all together
- Combine the egg white with the citrus mixture
- Gently apply the mixture onto your face
- Leave it for about 15 minutes
- Rinse with water and pat dry your face with a clean towel
Essential Tools to DIY Face Masks at Home
To help make sure that you have all the essential tools for creating homemade face masks, we’ve provided you with a list of all the best accessorize and applicators for your very own DIY spa. From mixing bowls to brushes to storage containers, we’ve got you covered!
- VERY PRACTICAL FACE MASK KIT: This is a great little set with everything you...
- SPACE SAVING AND HANDY: this facial mask tool set can easily fit in a small...
- SOFT & SKIN-FRIENDLY BRUSH: this face mask brush head is made of food grade...
- Includes: (1) mask applicator, (1) mixing cup, (1) storage cap, (1) mask remover...
- The Mini mask applicator is deisgned with soft, flat bristles to evenly apply...
- Use the mixing cup for multimasking application or DIY mixing of your favorite...
- Material : Eco-friendly Bamboo
- Bowl Size : 67mm x 31mm/ 2.64" x 1.22" Mini Spoon Size :100mm/3.94"
- Create your own homemade masks with this Mask Kit.
- ✿【Multifunction Face Mask Kit】- Perfect for mixing facial masks such as...
- ✿【Perfect Travel Size】- Anmyox face mask mixing bowl kit is a decent size...
- ✿【Easy To Use】- Very easy to mix and apply facial masks with the bowl and...
- Quantity: 50 Pieces (Jar and Lid) | Color: Pink | Size: 5G/5ML
- Dimensions: Outer – 1.2 Inches x 0.6 Inches | Inner – Inner - H (0.46...
- Superior Quality Acrylic Resistant to Breaking and Warping, Jar Base Made of...
Your Homemade Face Mask Questions Answered
Concocting a homemade face mask has the potential to save you both time and money. If this sounds like a good idea to you, then we can help! Here are some of the most commonly asked questions on homemade face mask recipes that our readers ask:
What are the benefits of making your own homemade face mask for skin?
When you go to the store and purchase a face mask, you’re not always aware of what harmful chemicals you’re putting on your skin. With homemade face masks, you are in control of the ingredients and have the ability to put the most natural products into your mask.
What are good ingredients to put in a homemade face mask for skin?
Natural oils, honey, lemon, and egg whites are excellent ingredients for homemade face masks. Anything that helps to retain moisture is perfect for your face. Your cabinets are most likely full of things that could be used in your mask, many of which will be beneficial to your skin.
How often should I use a face mask for skin?
One of the common mistakes people make is that they overuse face masks and end up getting the opposite effects that they’re searching for, such as a dry face. You want to start out using a face mask maximum twice times per week. After about two weeks of this, you can slow down to just once a week to keep your skin nice and refreshed.
Why Use a Homemade Face Mask?
Eating healthy foods has positive effects on your overall health and well-being, and as we like to say, beautiful skin starts from the inside. Fresh fruits and vegetables not only keep your body healthy when eaten but also maintain your skin’s health when applied directly onto it.
That’s why we highly recommend incorporating these natural fresh ingredients into your skincare routine. Organic ingredients are chemical-free and can be found right in your kitchen. Natural homemade face masks also won’t cost you an arm and a leg to purchase in comparison to brand named sheet masks.
Due to the enormous variety of fruits and vegetables, your choices for natural face masks are infinite. You can even customize your face mask based on your skin type and if you have any sensitivities to certain ingredients.
Applying a face mask provides you with time to relax and increases overall positivity within your body. DIY spa moments like these, even when done at home, minimize stress while making you look and feel better.
In conclusion, using natural ingredients is the secret to amazing skin! But what’s your experience with using natural homemade products for your skin? Let us know in the comments below what your favorite homemade face mask is to make, we love hearing from our readers!
Sasha Ramir has been a long-time protege of Estee lauder. Since she working in the skincare industry, her expertise in skincare, body, and wellness expanded and this is what she will bring to our skins here at Beautified Designs. Currently, she also writes articles where she enthusiastically shares beauty secrets and tips she learns from her field.