Has the new year made you want to try out a new hairstyle? Perhaps you are getting a bit bored and want to change things up? If you saw our recent article about trending long hairstyles, you probably have been inspired!
There are so many amazing cuts and colors out there for you to try. However, have you ever thought about doing it yourself? This might sound scary at first, but we promise, cutting your own hair can be revolutionary!
There are loads of different haircutting tools available, and it can be a bit confusing as to where to start. Thankfully we are here to talk about different tools you might need when cutting your own hair.
A tool we recommend working with is thinning scissors. These allow you to alter your hairstyle and thin your hair.
In this article we will look at the best thinning scissors out there right now, and how to use them. After reading this you’ll know which scissors are the best for you!
What Are Thinning Scissors or Thinner Shears?
Thinning scissors are also known as thinner shears and have teeth on one blade and none on the other. This means that with thinning scissors, you only remove some of the hair. In other words, you thin and texturize it.
Good to know: With thinning scissors you can blend sections and soften lines.
If you have a heavy head of hair, thinning hair scissors also mean that you can relieve some of this weight without having to sacrifice your style. Sometimes hair can be pretty bulky and this can get super frustrating!
However, with thinner shears, we can work with our hair and not against it! They are also great to soften ends so they look less blocky.
There are three different types of thinner shears; chunking, finishing, and texturizing. They are all similar but some are better at certain things than others. It depends on the size of the teeth and their number.
What Features to Look for in Thinner Shears?
There is a variety of thinning scissors out there and what you go for really depends on what you are wanting to get out of working with thinner shears and how thick your hair is.
Before buying a pair of thinning scissors, look at what features they have and decide which pair will be best for you. Here are some things to consider with your purchase.
Size of Teeth
A feature to consider when buying thinning scissors is the size of the teeth. If you are looking to blend and soften your haircut, opt for thinner shears with smaller teeth. Finishing and texturizing thinner shears normally have smaller teeth.
Scissors with wider teeth are better at taking out bigger chunks of hair, relieving weight. Chunking shears often have wider teeth.
Amount of Teeth
Different thinning scissors come with different amounts of teeth. Blending and texturizing thinner shears normally have around 25 teeth.
These scissors soften your hair and provide a natural-looking blend. They give lift and movement to your hairstyle and are pretty easy to work with!
Finishing scissors normally have around 20 teeth and these are perfect for creating a soft, feathery look for your hair. These scissors are great to remove weight.
Chunking shears will normally have 7 – 15 teeth. If your hair is really thick and unmanageable, using thinning scissors with fewer teeth means that you can thin it out quickly and more easily.
You might also wish to have another pair of thinning scissors that feather and blend the hair afterward.
A lot of thinning scissors advertise their thinning rate. This will normally be a percentage and refers to the percentage of hair that they will cut off.
If you are just starting out with thinning scissors, it is best to get some with a low percentage as to not take off too much too soon! A low percentage allows you to work slowly on your hair.
When you are working with hair, you really want to make sure that you are doing so in comfort and without any risks of slipping and ruining your hair! Make sure the handle of the thinner shears is non-slip.
When looking for thinning scissors, try and purchase ones with an offset grip. This means that the thumb handle is shorter than the finger handle. This allows you to be comfortable and not to overstretch too much.
Make sure you buy a pair of thinning scissors with adjustable screws. This means that you can change the tension on the shears until they feel right for you.
Our Favorite Thinning Scissors for Hair
Thinning scissors are a great addition to your beauty regime. They are easy to use and can really change your look! So what are the best thinning shears available on Amazon right now?
1 – Professional Thinning Hair Scissors by Equinox
- [Patented Design] Our reviews speak for themselves. Customers love our...
- Ergonomic - Our Professional Hair Cutting Scissors with curved finger rest and...
- Versatile - With an overall length of 6.5 inches and Blades of length 2.55...
These thinning scissors amount to salon-quality hair cutting equipment. They are durable and rust-free, so they are a product made to last!
They are sharp and great for both long and short hair and allow you to keep on top of split ends. These thinning scissors are really easy to use with a comfortable grip, allowing you to cut everything you need to cut!
2 – Professional Thinning Shears by Fagaci Store
- ✂️ Razor-sharp/Precise and Fine Cut - This professional thinning shears is...
- 💯 440C Steel & Ultra Quality - The steel quality and the fine craftsmanship...
- ⏳ Extremely Durable & Multipurpose - Thanks to the 440C steel and the...
These thinning shears have thin, sharp teeth that have a thinning rate of around 20 – 25%, so perfect for beginners and experts.
They are handmade from 440C Steel which has great hardness and durability. The blades on these thinning scissors are sharp and precise, great for all different types of fair!
3 – Hair Thinning Scissors by Jason
- High Quality Hair Thinning Shears - This 2 color hair blending shears is as...
- Experience A Natural Cutting Position - An offset handle by having a shorter...
- Razor Edge Blade - The thinning scissor has a very sharp edge and requires less...
This pair of thinning scissors have 30 very sharp teeth with a thinning rate of 25%. With an offset handle, this pair is easy to grasp and use.
They texturize your hair and remove any bulk and are really sharp, with an adjustable screw. Perfect for all kinds of hairstyles!
4 – Hair Cutting Scissors by ULG
- Superior Quality - Made of 100% Japanese stainless steel, with hand-sharpened...
- Sharp Blades - Hair cutting scissors give a clean cut and mirror polish finish,...
- 20-25% Thinning Rate - Hair thinning shears has 30 teeth on one side, give your...
With a detachable finger rest, these thinner shears are great for comfort and a stable grip. This also means that you can adjust them depending on your finger size!
They are lightweight and cut evenly, providing you with a professional-looking haircut every time.
5 – Barber Scissors by Kinsaro
- Introduction: 5.75 inch high grade 440C professional hair thinning scissors,low...
- Material: 440C is internationally recognized as one of the high-end hair...
- Application: It can be used at barbers,hair salon,hair studio or home...
These scissors are handmade by expert craftsmen. They have 27 teeth and a thinning rate of 15-20%, so quite low compared to other scissors on the list.
This means that cutting your hair will take longer. However, it will be more precise. Plus, because they are so comfortable to hold, you won’t experience any strain using them!
6 – Thinning Shear Set by Moontay
- AFTER-SALES SERVICE - We are a professional scissors manufacturer, very...
- ERGONOMIC HAIR CUTTING SCISSORS - The handle of the hair cutting scissors set is...
- PREMIUM HAIRDRESSER SCISSORS - These specialized high-end 440C Japanese...
These thinning shears are durable and long-lasting and are really great quality for the price! The set comes with haircutting scissors and thinning shears.
The thinning shears have a comfortable, offset grip and are designed for stylists. You can count on them for a good haircut.
7 – Hair Cutting and Thinning Scissors Set by Equinox
- Premium Set - Japanese stainless steel Hair Cutting and Thinning shears are...
- Ergonomic - Our Equinox Professional Razor Edge Hair Cutting Scissors Kit is...
- Versatile - With an overall length of 6.5" each, the Professional Salon Scissors...
Another great set for a decent price, the thinning scissors included here are perfect for beginners as they are really lightweight and ergonomic.
They have an adjustable tension screw so they can be altered to your needs. They are safe and easy to use, meaning you can style yourself and others with ease.
8 – Professional Hair Cutting Scissors Set by Smith Chu
- -Every blade is razor sharp and made of finest quality 440c stainless steel....
- -Comfortable and Adjustable: Every scissors are designed ergonomically. Its...
- -High end design, dragon handle of retro style and luxurious red gem stone...
This set comes with a pair of cutting scissors and a pair of chunking scissors. These thinning scissors are designed for thick and unmanageable hair, thinning it and making it easy to style.
We love the retro look of these scissors, with the red gemstone screw and dragon design. Very gothic and very cool.
9 – Left Handed Hair Thinning Scissors by Smith Chu
- Every blade is razor sharp and made of finest quality 440c stainless steel. Hair...
- Comfortable and Adjustable: Every scissors are designed ergonomically. Its...
- Long-Time use without fatigue, Barber hairstylist cutting Scissors is particular...
When it comes to cutting hair, lefties can often never really find the right pair of scissors for them. However, if you are left-handed, look no further! This pair of thinning scissors are really comfortable and designed for lefties.
With 30 teeth, this pair has a thinning rate of 20-30%. They are quite small, so great for cutting bangs or ends.
10 – Professional Barber Hair Thinning Shears by Missum
- PATENT DESIGN - Each curved tooth has 3 small curved teeth, catch thick hair...
- MORE DURABLE - Only high grade stainless steel like Japanese 440C stainless...
- SUPER-SHARP - hand-sharpened blades，trim hair with no feeling of hair moving...
This pair of thinning scissors are great for texturizing hair. They have curved small teeth that catch thick hair and thin it evenly. They are durable and tough, definitely built to last!
Their adjustable screw means that you can find the perfect tension. Add to that their ergonomic design, and you can use them comfortably for a long stretch of time.
11 – Chunking Shears for Barber and Home Haircuts by Moontay
- Customer Satisfaction: If you are not satisfied with our hair texturizing...
- 17 Wider Teeth, 40-50% Cut Ratio - The texture shears have wider teeth and...
- Handmade from Premium Cold Forged Super Japanese 440C Stainless Steel - The hair...
This pair of chunking shears have 17 wide teeth, with a cutting rate of 40-50%. This means they are perfect for thick hair, allowing you to quickly and easily thin hair.
They are lightweight and comfortable, with finger rests and an offset handle. Overall you’re looking at a well-built, dependable pair.
How to Use Thinning Scissors
Have you found the right thinning scissors for you? There are so many great ones out there, and the range of them means that you can find the one that is perfect for your needs!
Now you have your thinning scissors, check out our simple guide to how to use them the right way.
For Thinning and Adding Texture to Hair
If you are looking to thin and add texture to your hair with these scissors work with one section at a time and do so on dry hair.
- Firstly, comb through your hair until there are no tangles.
- Next, separate your hair into sections. You might want to pin some of your hair up.
- Begin at a section at the front of your hair. Take a section and use the thinning scissors about halfway down the hair. Cut upwards.
- As you cut, glide down towards your ends.
- Repeat with each section of your hair.
- Comb through your hair with a brush or your fingers when finished to loosen and style!
To Feather Blunt Ends
Thinning scissors are a great way to thin blunt ends on thick hair. This method works best on damp hair, but not too wet.
- Comb through your hair, getting rid of any tangles.
- Take a section of the hair and hold the ends between your fingers, about two or three inches from the end.
- With your other hand, use the thinning shears to cut diagonally along the ends.
- Move on to the next section and do the same, repeating until all your ends are done.
Cutting Hair with Thinning Scissors: 3 Key Mistakes to Avoid
If you decide to cut your hair with thinning scissors, you will most likely be successful, however, you should be aware of some common mistakes to avoid!
Mistake #1: Taking Off Too Much
When using thinning scissors, never be snip happy! Begin small and always take off a little bit less than you want to take off, as this gives you room for mistakes.
Mistake #2: Using Them on Wet Hair
If you are wanting to add texture to your hair, always do it on dry hair as you can see what you are doing and working with the shape and texture of your hair.
If you have wavy or curly hair, when it’s wet it’s straight. If you use thinning scissors on your wet hair, when your hair is dry it might look a bit misshapen and uneven.
Mistake #3: Cutting Near the Scalp
If you have long hair, never cut above halfway. If you cut nearer the scalp your hair might look noticeably chunky as the shorter hair near the scalp might start to lift.
Thinning Scissors Frequently Asked Questions
Check out our frequently asked question section on thinning scissors, and let us know if you have any more concerns or questions about them!
Are thinning scissors bad for your hair?
Thinning scissors do not cause split ends or breakage unless they are overused. So the answer is no!
Do you need thinning scissors?
It really depends on your hair type and what you wish your hairstyle to be. If you are looking for lighter, thinner hair with more texture, definitely look into buying a pair of thinning scissors.
Do you use thinning scissors on wet or dry hair?
Most thinning scissors can be used on wet and dry hair, but it’s probably best to use them on dry hair at first as you will get to know what changes they make to your hair straight away. It also means that you are working with your curls and waves, texturizing them.
What thinning scissors to buy?
If you are wanting to add texture and thin your hair, buy a pair of thinning shears that have lots of blades and a lower thinning rate. If you have heavy, thick hair and need to relieve some of this weight, use chunking scissors with fewer teeth and a higher thinning rate.
Are You Ready to Make The Cut?
Cutting and styling your own hair, or your friend’s hair, can be pretty daunting at first! However, with thinning scissors you can add texture, shape, and flow to your look with ease.
Thinning shears are a great first step into hair cutting and styling, allowing you to learn and work with your hair, just like a real barber.
Remember, always start cutting your hair slowly and bit by bit, never taking off too much at once! Plus, be careful as thinning scissors can be super sharp!
Oh, and if you make a mistake and cut too much off, don’t worry! Perhaps a cute short haircut might be your 2021 look?
Jesse Simons, a jack (jess of all trades), a certified makeup expert and beauty enthusiast, is the co-founder of Beautified Design together with Raissa. Both having extensive haircare experience, they met each other at one of the many hair-stylists conferences they’ve attended and decided to combine their knowledge in what is Beautified Designs today.